I remember fondly the trips to Carmel and Cambria where we traveled as a family for most of
my youth on President's Day weekend every year. Even in the cold Pacific in late winter or early
spring, a beach trip can be fabulous with a stack of cards, some good old movies, and friends and
family. If you are lucky enough to have your own beach house to decorate, or just dream of
bringing that style home, here is our list of ‘must haves’ for beach house decor.
Maybe a few of these ideas will inspire you to rework your own space and add a few key pieces
to bring function and style to everyday living. A simple seagrass area rug, a fun new pop of color
is the perfect way to capture the beach house lifestyle and bring it home. Add indigo and
white bedding, or all white duvet covers put you in the perfect peaceful state of mind. If you are
inspired these beach house design ideas, be sure to take a look at the lovely slip covered
couches, chairs, gliders and outdoor fabric selection we offer.
Keys to the Style
1. Pillows! Nautical Throw Pillows and Coastal Throw Pillows
2. Rugs. Seagrass or Sisal Border Area Rugs
3. Slip covered pieces in Sunbrella or other outdoor fabrics such as Cabana and Awning
Stripe Upholstered Chairs.
4. Lamps with Glass Bases: Think Clear Glass, Organic Forms, Demi John Bases in Airy
Colors, seaglass, light coral, true white, dove grey, pinks and lime greens for added pop.
5. Lightweight Drapes in Easy Care White Fabrics. Ruffle or Seersucker Shower
Curtains for an instant bathroom refresh - who wants to rip and tear on perfectly good
6. Painted Floors - think Benjamin Moore porch paint that can be refreshed seasonally
7. Board and Batten Wall Treatment
8. Large round dining tables with fun painted finish mismatched vintage chairs unified by a
similar paint color that can be moved to accommodate guests at the table.
9. Beachy "Catch All" Hall Piece or Server to gather towels, keys, leashes and extra beach
totes for guests. Think a large galvanized metal or lacquer tray.
10. Entry way or mudroom hooks, numbered totes and towels, beach toy mesh bags on the
porch – all so sandy items never enter the home!
11. Outdoor Shower or Foot Rinsing Station with stack of fresh towels set up so guests can
clean up with minimal inconvenience and lessen the wear and tear on floors.
12. Cane Style Vintage Furniture Pieces made new in a lovely lacquer shade of turquoise or
white with cushions reupholstered in a year round indoor outdoor fabric such as.
13. Artisan crafted accessories - think of all those souvenir pieces gathered and displayed in one concentrated place.
Just another tip! Every time I see a piece of seaglass beachcombing, I pick it up. Gather these
in a beautiful cylindrical glass vase or shadow box for instant impact with minimal effort.
Or mount your seashell finds in a grid format mounted over linen or grasscloth like matte